Friday, September 26, 2008

Marshalls, Meet Your Foe!

So a few days ago Joel and I were removing some debris from a house, including a very large dog house. In order to break the dog house apart we tipped it over. As we did we were swarmed with yellow jackets which decided to follow us all the way to the front of the house and finally our truck - Where I was stung twice (the wrist and over my left kidney). Let me tell you, that is nothing like a bee sting. Joel somehow got away with no stings.



These mini-creatures had built their home right under the dog house into the ground. I had no idea that these things would build under items such as that dog house. When we got home I did a little research to make sure of what these angry stinging things were and discovered that yellow jackets and other such creatures are very common here in Colorado. That extension office webpage seemed to scream at me, "Meet your new foe!" I guess we'll know next time to be careful when removing large items from long abandoned houses.

Here's a guy that had a lot of fun getting rid of an underground yellow jacket nest! I wish I could have done this to that nest.

It just goes to show that no matter where you live there is always something to deal with and that no place is perfect.

2 comments:

hdwheatley said...

That looks painful. i had never been stung before Saturday. Then when I was loading Logan's presents in the car, a wasp stung my big toe. OH THE PAIN!

Janelle and Ella said...

OH NO!! That looks awful. I can't imagine how painful that would be because bee stings are horribly painful! OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!